101 things about me

Monday 21 September 2009

People we can’t live without but have to let go...

In the last few months I have been thinking a lot about my blogging friend Renee and her family. I met Renee last year when my brother had cancer and she has been an incredible friend ever since. She has stage 4 Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC) which she writes about openly and honestly on her blog.

She is incredible, as is her family who have been by her side every step of the way in her fight against her cancer. In more recent months, three other members of her family have been struck by illness and she has found herself as the carer also. Her sister Jacquie is currently in hospital being treated for cancer, her mother has been in hospital (thankfully now home).

But saddest of all (if one can measure levels of sadness, Renee would also agree) is Renee's nephew Sheldon. He was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive cancer a few months ago. I was sad to read on her blog that he died on Friday. He was only 25 years old. His family are understandably devestated.

She posted this quote on her blog a few days ago and it has been in my thoughts ever since. Lots of love to you and your family Renee. I am so so sorry for your loss.

"There are things that we don’t want to happen but have to accept, things we don’t want to know but have to learn, and people we can’t live without but have to let go."
Anon.

3 comments:

justrun said...

How very sad. My heart goes out to your friend.
Acceptance without being able to make sense of a situation is something I think I'll be working on my entire life.

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Oh, you made me cry with that one. What a beautiful quote, and so very true.

Renee said...

Cinta, dear friend.

You know, I know that you do. You know what this is all like.

I love you.

Renee xoxo