101 things about me

Wednesday 9 June 2010

If this a mid-life crisis...























A few weeks ago, I did something I have been wanting to do for years.

When I was in my 20's, my boyfriend at the time, convinced my not to do it. When I was in my 30's I had more or less discarded it, though I continued to envy and admire women who did it. And now, in my (early 40's) I have finally done it too.

Having chatted with a friend about it, who was keen to come along, we went off on a Saturday a few weeks back, and went to The Piercing Urge where I met Sam (pictured) who pierced my nose. Yes, I got my nose pierced.

And I am pleased with the result. And I like how it looks. It is not huge or ugly. In fact is is small and (I think) rather discreet. People who have said anything have said they liked it (apart from my Mother and an Aunt, who I knew would not really like it and they said as much)... and the rest have declined to comment either because they don't like it, or, as a few people have said, they weren't totally sure whether I had always had it.

So. Why did I do it?
Because I wanted to.
And because I can.
And because I figured, at 42, it's about time I do stuff I want to do, instead of worrying about what others might think of me.

And whilst it might be a little unexpected and they might not approve, my Mum still loves me, and my Aunt still loves me, and whilst they may not like nose jewelry, they do understand that what I do with my body is my decision. And they will soon get accustomed to it in any case.

Besides, if this is my mid-life crisis (and this is the 'worst' thing I do), then hopefully that means I may live to be 85.

14 comments:

Lilli boo said...

That's an awesome mid-life crisis thing to do...and anyway it's more 'individulaism' then 'crisis'... who cares what anyone thinks... showing my age now... 42 too!

Breathe Gently said...

That's fantastic! I think they look great, and good for you - I'm so pleased you did something YOU want to do!

LesleyG said...

Well thank God you didn't get a sports car. hehe :)
I've always thought it really takes a certain personality to pull of a nose piercing, so congratulations... on your personality. ha!

Jodie said...

Far better than the sports car and the young blonde Jacinta...
I mean you would have to train him and who has time for that.

flossy-p said...

Go You! That's awesome, and cool, and so freeing.
I bet it looks beautiful. Think of all those Indian woman who have pierced noses their whole lives, and I think they look beautiful.

Way to be independent and take control of your own life!

p.s. sorry you missed out on my giveaway. Never mind, there's always the annual illustration giveaway. :)

Umatji said...

great! got to love a bit of indulgence in the 'you' bit of the world! us women are often not good at it so hear hear!
I bet it makes you quietly smile when you spot it in the mirror or feel it and how can something that does that be anything other than wonderful!

Lori ann said...

Awesome post. You are so cute. 42 is a great age and you are acting very age appropriate ;) (it's true).
Congratulations on your new nose piercing!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

That is cool. I look forward to checking it out sometime.

I get the sense that this is an amazing time for you. Lots of great things are coming your way I think.

Jo said...

I am 42 also and got my nose pierced a year or so ago. It is so easy to put off, or never do something you really want to because of what others think.

donna said...

I totally understand, mine was a rather large tattoo that runs from my hip to the middle of my back.
And mums , well I still haven't told my mother, though I am sure she knows I have it.

Emiti said...

I think that's awesome. The thing I've been dying to do is cut my hair and dye it bright red. But hey maybe I'll wait a few more years...

HNjbMY said...

http://cat-and-girl.blogspot.com/

U have good blog.
I ENJOY THE FREE DOMAIN AND FREE HOSTING!!!

Let Change you domain blog with your name.
visit here

domain-myname.co.cc

Wanderer said...

If only Lynn would let me get a tattoo, could you talk to her for me Jacinta?

Anonymous said...

Anon approves.