101 things about me

Monday 17 September 2007

Ask and the universe shall provide...

A story about white feathers...

Many years ago now, when I was working and living in London, there was a woman who was coming to London to hold a seminar that I wanted to attend. Her name was Denise Linn. Denise is an international lecturer, healer, and author who teaches about the benefits of working with subtle energies, feng shui, and space clearing.

OK, go with me here, I can already hear groaning from some people. Keep an open mind...

She teaches from wisdom she has learned from Native Americans as well as from other native cultures around the world and is a widely acclaimed speaker. Nowadays she has written 14 books, covering areas which may or may not be of interest to you from Feng Shui to Sacred Spaces. In any case, I really wanted to go and see (hear) her speak. The sessions were unsurprisingly rather pricey. And so, whilst I wanted to go - a lot - I couldn't really justify the cost.

Part of her marketing said if white feathers started to appear in your life, then it was a 'sign' you were meant to attend. I am pretty open minded about these things, however I am also of the belief there are a lot charlatans out there. Unfortunately there are also a lot of gullible people who follow blindly without questioning and this sort of ploy could well be looked upon as a bit of a gimmick (or at worst a scam). I was a little bit cynical, never the less, I decided to keep an open mind and be more awake to any signs that might come my way.

Over the course of the next few weeks I did find white feathers entered my life. Or perhaps I was just more aware of them! Of course they were in the park around areas where birds gathered and of course they were around areas where there was open air eating and birds picked their way through spared crumbs. It was, I decided, an excellent marketing tool... I was not an easy convert.

The day I walked to the bus stop and a white feather drifted down from the sky and landed in my hand, it did seem a little out of the ordinary, and yet I remained unconvinced. The week-end before the talk, I sat in my front room arguing within my head as to whether I should just 'bite the bullet', pay the money and go along to the seminar. Finally I decided I needed a stronger sign, something more conclusive.

I asked that white feathers come to me in the form of a pattern. That would be the only way I would be persuaded. And then I went for a walk.

My partner and I walked to Chiswick House and gardens. This heritage house is beautiful and set in a 65-acre estate in West London and it was a local favourite on a Sunday afternoon. I did not speak of my 'request'. We talked as we wandered along and enjoyed the fresh air and quiet escape from the busy streets. Not far from where we planned to stop for a drink in the garden cafe, I looked down to the edge of the path and there, delicately arranged, were 5 single white feathers set out like the spokes of a wheel. Seriously. It took my breath away. There was no question. White feathers. Just as I had asked. Amazing.

Needless to say I attended the seminar and was impressed by what I heard. Denise was indeed an interesting person to hear speak. She had a certain calm and belief I admired. I couldn't tell you the details now (it was nearly 20 years ago and the details have faded somewhat) but I do remember her words touched me at the time. White feathers still remind me of that magical moment.

6 comments:

Arthur's Circus said...

I actually have 2 of Denise's books (signposts and sacred spaces) that I bought years ago. I am rather sceptical with such things also, but I did find the 'signs' such as feathers when I asked the universe for direction, so to speak. I paid more attention to what was going on around me at the time and there were definitely things/people guiding me in the right way.

Angela said...

Your story just gave me goose bumbs! Tomorrow I'm going to look out for white feathers.

Ames and Mick said...

Very spooky...
I may have neglected to mention this, but I can tell people's future's from a bag of M&Ms. It's true. I have a 75% accuracy rate.

Jacinta said...

Although I do consider myself open minded to most possibilities, I do think it is necessary to ask questions and not take it all as gospel. As you say, being more awake to what is around you is no doubt a big factor.

Three Buttons... yes, I had a friend at the time who couldn't believe I even questioned it after the feather dropped into my hand... but I guess I had to push it just a little bit more. It gives me goosebumps too. Good luck with the search for white feathers!

Ames! How could you have neglected to tell me something so exraordinary? What type of M & M's do I need to bring for my reading? I am partial to the peanut M & M's, just you let me know and I'll be there with a party pack of whatever you prefer whenever you are available!

Daydream Lily said...

hi, I decided to tag you aswell. So have a go of the mosaic...they are fun :-) Cant wait to see what you come up with.

Liss.

Lin said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Your story reminded me of the last scene of Forrest Gump. I'll be on the look out for little white feathers.