101 things about me

Wednesday 23 January 2008

To buy or not to buy... That is the question!


I desperately need to upgrade my home computer. It drives me crazy. It is a small ibook that has passed it's prime and whilst it has been a trusty companion, the time has come to bite the bullet and upgrade to something better. A computer that doesn't take 30 seconds to move down the scroll bar, a computer with a screen that doesn't cause me eye strain, and a computer that is agreeable and doesn't cause me cursing and undue stress.

I have been eyeing off an imac for a while now. I have to get an apple. It's part need (I work in graphics) and part desire (you've got to admit they have a certain street cred that pc's lack)... I find pcs clumsy and illogical (maybe that's just me) and new or not, a new pc would be headed very quickly through the nearest window!

You can argue with me on the advantages of pcs, I have heard it all before, but I will not be convinced. Call me stubborn. That's fine. But I am apple through and through.

I am very like my parents in many ways. Some things I like (they are both healthy, active and intelligent) and some things (like hairy legs) are not so good!

I am like my father - I am a procrastinator. I am like my mother - I am not good at spending money on myself. It makes me nervous. Put the two traits together and you will understand why it takes me so long to make a decision. Throw in being a Libran to boot and geez, I'm surprised I get out the door in the mornings!

In reality, I can actually justify the purchase. I will be able to use it for work. My work. The creative stuff I want to be doing more. I will be able to use InDesign and illustrator and play (and learn more) photoshop. I want to set up an ETSY store, but at the moment (apart from all my other excuses) my little ibook wouldn't cope with the extra workload. I will be able to listen to itunes at the same time as surfing the net! And I will be able to watch a movie clip without having to force quit or reboot. I will be able to store things on my hard drive instead of carrying them on a memory stick. What am I waiting for?

With a new computer I will be able to blog more easily without the nightly tantrums about wasting my time when I don't have time to waste! That alone would be worth the money. Just ask Mal. He retreats into the other room once the ranting begins and continues to take cover until I emerge with a few more grey hairs and an overworn apology.

It is time. Sigh!

5 comments:

Shirl and Dave said...

One Little Acorn...You certainly have convinced me.

Malcolm Garth said...

Yay!!! :)

Anonymous said...

JUST DO IT! You wont regret it!

leslie said...

hey there, don't know if you've made your purchase yet but if it eases the financial anxiety, apple australia has really good prices on refurbished macs (and free next day shipping!). i bought a refurbished macbook pro last july and haven't had a single problem with it, plus saved $700. just go to the apple australia store http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australiastore and scroll down (even if it takes 1/2 hour!) to the bottom lefthand side of the page, there's a link to the current refurbished deals. good luck!

Smiler said...

Going through some of your older posts and I found this and if you want to know, I'm 100% with you as far as going with Mac and not so much as considering PC. Yes even if it's way more expensive, and yes, even if PC's are supposed to do everything a Mac can. Who cares? We're designers! I was just looking a the iMac at the store last week and very nearly blew my non-existent budget on one, so if you can afford it, go for it! Besides, it's an amazing deal compared to what we used to pay for Macs.