101 things about me

Friday 24 February 2012

What to wear on a first date... with a fashion designer...

Fact is, I was intimidated. The huge decision of what to wear is bad enough on any first date... when he's a fashion designer? It's HELL!

Did I tell you I was back on RSVP?

That I decided it was time to 'get out there' again? That reality is, I am sometimes lonely and that whilst I am not unhappy being single, I think there is much to be said about finding a great partner. Trouble is, it's actually not that easy to meet eligible single men... So, here I am back internet dating. 

I've done it before, way back in 2006, and decided recently it's time to give it another go. I have been pretty cautious this time. Being very choosy about who I agree to contact/email. Taking it slow, not expecting Mr Perfect to contact me in the first day, though of course hopeful he will materialize at some stage, and hopefully sooner rather than later.

He had a great profile. Well written, witty, no corny name, an interest in art and design. And so I said I was interested and he emailed me back. And so we corresponded online getting to know each other, as much as one can in a format than can be edited and composed any number of times before the send button is pressed. And finally we agreed to meet.

OK. As I said, I was intimidated. And meeting in person where he could actually SEE me, was ridiculously nerve-racking. Needless to say, I asked friends for advice. And the replies... dress up, dress down, dress short were little comfort. And finally, the one true response that would work for me... just be yourself.

And last night (Thursday) we had our first date.
We met at Fed Square and took a quick look at a late opening exhibition of collaborative artwork in "The Studio" where we chatted to a couple of the artists, before heading up to an outdoor cafe for a drink and catch up while watching the world go by.

It was a beautiful evening to be out and about in Melbourne. Balmy with a light breeze. Perfect weather to wear a hand-sewn skirt with fitted top, a light jacket and flattie shoes. Pretty much me. And the thing is, dressed as I was, even though I was nervous, I figure if he didn't like me because of my sense of fashion, then it was never going to be a match made in heaven anyway.

Was he nice? Yes. 
Were there sparks? Not really, no. Actually, no. None. 
Will I see him again? Not so sure about that.
But the thing is, if I do, I'm already worrying about what to wear and I'm not sure I can handle the stress...

3 comments:

Red Hen (dette) said...

I think that "be yourself" is absolutely the very best advice there is. But it is nerve wracking as first impressions are important aren't they, but if you are dressed as yourself you are more likely to be more comfortable...now I'm having a little laugh at myself because I fretted about what I would wear when I first introduced myself to Paris!! Good luck with your quest, I hope you find someone who likes you just as you are and makes you feel good to be you!

Nicky said...

Hehe, yes, I can empathise with that dilemma. I always hated figuring out what to wear for dates when I was doing the online thing. Glad you're getting back into it though. It's natural for most human beings to want someone special in their life, regardless of how content they are being single.

Crochet Addict UK said...

When I met my true love I knew because it didn't matter what I looked like or what I wore he would still love me the way I was.