101 things about me

Friday 11 May 2007

Creativity

At the beginning of this year, I decided that I needed to concentrate on making my life more creative. I think I am creative. Sometimes. I have dabbled in lots of things. Calligraphy. Painting. Drawing. Writing. Singing. Knitting. Craft. Pottery. Glass painting. Indigo dying. I have tried lots of things.

Blogging is getting me motivated again. For the last few months it has intrigued and overwhelmed me - there are SO many creative, innovative, inventive and incredibly talented people out there. They take my breath away. It is both inspirational and daunting at the same time.

In my 20's I worked at Camp Tanglewood in Maine for two summers, where I ran the art studio. When I returned to Australia after travelling the word for 8 years, I did an adult apprenticeship in graphic prepress. The aim was to work in a creative industry and design for a career. Unfortunately somewhere along the way, work has evolved into a more administrative role. I have moved away from my creative pursuits. And so, given that I cannot give up work, my creative stimulation has to be developed more in my free time... Now, where did I put that spare time I had?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A book that I really love is "Drawing on the artist within" by Betty Edwards (she also wrote "Drawing on the right side of the brain"). It's filled with really straight-forward art activities that are great for exploring your intuition and creativity! Check it out!

Shirl and Dave said...

Post Card Art ....and there's lots of new calligraphy nibs to help combine the two . Create a new post card. The ink is black!