101 things about me

Sunday 13 July 2008

This is what gives me goosebumps...

The idea of deep water (and especially rough seas) gives me the goosebumps.

I have been swimming with the dolphins and seals in Port Phillip Bay and I grew up near the beach, but deep water and rough surf in particular, gives me goosebumps BIGTIME!

I don't get seasick and I am a regular user of ferries, I really don't know why I have this reaction... A rough trip to Maria Island off the east coast of Tasmania on school camp? The movie Perfect Storm? Too many episodes of Gilligan's Island? Perhaps it is more the idea of being out of control in rough water maybe? Whatever it is, the idea of deep water is definitely goosebump material.

A couple of months ago, when I found out my brother was going deep sea fishing off the southern coast of Victoria. I've gotta tell you, my stomach lurched. When I imagined him taking a charter boat out into the ocean, over 40 kilometers off the coast with the aim of catching a bluefin tuna, all I could see were stormy seas and big big waves. I am relieved to say arrived home safely and was even published in the Geelong Addy, having landed the catch of the day!


Tim Smith of Point Lonsdale with the bluefin tuna he caught off Portland aboard Adamas Charters on Sunday. (Photo Rod Lawn).

The theme for this weeks "This is..." came from Flightless Boyds. The "This is..." meme was started by the very creative Angela of Three Buttons fame.

I see I get to choose the theme for next week - I have been thinking about it all day and I am still undecided... I will let you know by Wednesday... Have a good week everyone.

17 comments:

Lisa [strickerin] said...

What a tuna!

The Perfect Storm would have been enough to put anyone off the sea. That was wild.

Juddie said...

Oooh looks as though you'd better keep y0our feet firmly planted on terra firma! Looking forward to next week's theme :-)

Malcolm Garth said...

The more of the firma the less of the terra!

Angela said...

Yes, I would agree deep water gives me goosebumps too.

And what a catch of the day!

Thank you for accepting our This Is challenge! I'm sure you'll give us a winner to work with : )

Angela xx

P.S. (Was that your lino bird work I spied on your flickr site)?

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

I am with you on being out to sea - mind you I get sea sick which also contributes to my discomfort! Great catch!

Lilli boo said...

I love the sea..but the deep sea.. it's daunting..especially when the likes of movies from our day 'Jaws' and the like, still give me this feeling that something in the 'The deep blue sea' is going to jump out at me! Now you've got me thinking!!
However that Tuna was well worth effort...

Liesl said...

Ohhh yes ... I don't like the deep sea either. Going out on a boat isn't really my idea of fun.

Look forward to seeing what the theme for next week is.

Helen said...

Just stopping by to say hi.
-just a reader

Bec said...

I'm totally hearing ya! Deep water gives me the heebeegeebees! For me though it's the thought of what might be lurking in that deep water....eeeekkkkk!!!!!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Yeh, I get this one. I love the idea of deep sea if it's calm, but rough and deep - naaa.

I can't wait to hear what you choose for next week's theme.

Michelle said...

I'm not a fan of the rough seas either - I get mega sea sick...annoying because I love suba diving and mostly need to go out in deep/rough water to get to the dive sites!

Hila said...

I totally agree with you! The thought of going deep into the sea freaks me out. My brother went diving once and my mother's response was "the sea is for the fishes, not for us", ha :)

flossy-p said...

mmm, open seas is a big fear for many people. My partner hates the idea too, but his dad used to be a fisherman on a trawler, now he's a boat captain. So he's always lived with the concept. He was even taken out on the trawler for a few nights. eeek.

Jenny said...

Yes I can totally relate to the deep water and stormy seas-very goosebumpy indeed-yikes!But I do love a calm sea that is clear. Great photo of catch of the day! Good luck choosing next week's theme:)

CurlyPops said...

I feel the same way....keep me on dry land!

Karin said...

I'm not big on open water either. There is no way in hell that I was going to watch that movie that came out a few years ago of the scuba divers lost at sea. No way! The commercials alone made me shiver!!

I do, however like rowing. On a lake or a pond that is. Perhaps while wearing a lovely straw hat. :-)

Anastasia said...

im the same with the wide ocean out there...im happy lapping around in a pool! well done to your brother...what an awesome fish!!