101 things about me

Tuesday 8 July 2008

Brothers young and old, save up your pocket money...

I used to be TERRIFIED of spiders. There was never space enough for me and one spider in the same room!

But then, 2 years ago, I faced my fears, took part in the "Fearless Program' for arachnophobes at Tooronga zoo in Sydney and I was cured. Yes cured. I can honestly say I have held a LIVE, hand filling, genuine, Chilean Rose Tarantula in my bare hands and I would do it again. If you are brave enough, you can read about my experience and see the picture to prove it here.

Today I saw in a local toy catalogue, you can buy one of these little beasties and play havoc with all of your arachnophobic friends and family.

Yes, it's a remote control tarantula! My brother's would have got their money's worth with this in their arsenal of tricks! It would have seen me running for the hills.

What will they think of next?

6 comments:

trash said...

In my house is it is only Ck and Babyman who have thespider fear!

kate said...

Ooooh yuk I hate spiders too!! I cannot believe you held one that makes me shudder and squeal to even think about it....!!

Bec said...

If I was in Sydney I would be doing that program in a heartbeat. I'm truly phobic about spiders - especially huntsman-like ones. I get the shakes, sweat, and even hyperventilate if one comes near me....I know...one day I will do something about it. And god help anyone who thinks it's a good idea to scare me with one of those remote controlled monstrosities. Just thinking about it makes me shudder!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Great story about overcoming your fear. Good on you.

Those remote control spiders seem simply wrong. Oh the cruelty that will be committed.

Beth said...

Hahaha this is classic! I think I need to purchase one of these. Awesome. I like bugs and beetles, but for some reason huntsmans really freak me out (I think I "caught" the fear of them from my mother)

Anonymous said...

Stumbled by here by accident while searching for pocket money toys :-), but I'm glad I did, great blog, well done.